Thursday, July 29, 2010





Dear Dad,  


For the longest time since we had you, I have to admit this, I missed you.


I miss the days you cook my favorite pork sinigang. I miss your pasalubongs from your business trips. I miss our long drive going to lola's house when everybody else sleeps while we sing BESAME MUCHO with your old car sterio. I miss our singing voice every Sunday that used to trigger mom's migraine. I miss the old days. I miss being your baby.  


I miss the "ice buko", "goto", "isaw" and "betamax" we eat every saturday afternoon while mom is out of town. I miss your confidence in convincing her that "isaw" and street foods are not really that bad at all. And you started to make homemade "isaw" after I was rushed to hospital for food poisoning. I miss you making faces as you turn your back to mom while she nags like forever. And when she stops talking, you tell her she's still your FOREVER. I miss you cracking jokes while I'm sad of mom not getting the right books I want. That mom is getting old and she's forgetful. And then you start writing the title and author of the books I wanted you to buy for me. I miss our ice cream moments during rainy days. And the hot black coffee at noon. I miss your complexities and your weirdo-ness daddy.

I miss your smile that brightens my days. I miss your shoulder that I used to cry on. You hand that taps my shoulder telling me "You can do it anak, ako yata ang tatay mo!" I miss my best friend in you. I miss you being around dad. Your hugs, your compliments, and I miss our draft beers and our long talks about your boss, about my teachers, about our dreams, about the man I should marry when I reach the right age. And the kind of 2nd wife I want you to have if mom decides to annul your marriage.


I miss you dad. I miss your uncanny ways of making me smile and your exceptional ways of making me realize how ODD life can be but with Mom and us, it's something worth living for. I also have to admit that I didn't believe you back then and that deep inside my young heart, I know "Life is a like a fairy tale, that everybody deserves a happy ending". Like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. You once told me, "when you grow up and find yourself fighting for the things you don't think are worth the fight but still fight for it because your hearts says so, you'll go back here yelling at every corner of this house, Dad! Life is ODD, Ur right and Ur Awesome!"  I miss your words of wisdom. You being the street smart and all!


I miss going back to the old house looking for your vintage car I used to whisper-borrow without your approval. How many concerts I missed because you wouldn't allow me go out with my friends. How many parties I missed because you disapproved of my dates. You missed seeing dad the evolution of my preference. How I wish to see you giving me 2 thumbs up for the man I decided to marry.


I missed you my daddy. I may have changed a lot but I am still your baby who misses your goodnight kiss. How sad that I missed the chance of kissing you back and tells you 


"I love you too, my daddy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment